Thursday, December 6, 2007

"An American, not only a Mormon..."

I find the speech today by Governor Romney at the George H. W. Bush's Presidential library rhetorically pleasing in several different ways.
"A person should not be elected because of his faith, nor should he be rejected because of his faith.

"Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin."
I'm salivating here.
"When I place my hand on the Bible and take the oath of office, that oath becomes my highest promise to God."

"A president must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States."

Calling upon Americans to do better- respect at a deeper level- could be the most powerful way to turn the discussion in his favor, I think. My former religious rhetoric professor is probably having a field day with this speech!
"....but I think they (those who think his religion will sink his candidacy) underestimate the American people. Americans do not respect believers of convenience."

"These are not bases for criticism, but a test of our tolerence." (I wish he had paused here!) "Religious tolerance would be a shallow test of our principles indeed, if it were reserved only for faiths with which we agree."
Beautiful.

"We are a nation under God, and in God we do indeed trust."
Say it again!

"I will not separate us from the God who gave us liberty."
Romney stands out on a teetering limb, stating blatantly where he believes God does belong, and where it does not. His speech today may become an outline for office-holders everywhere struggling with the idea of balancing faith and politics.

Watch it here.

No comments: