Sunday, May 12, 2013

A New season

I first began blogging what is now 6 years ago. I was anonymous just for the sake of being anonymous - who wants to be known for their opinions in the public sphere? That's an awfully scary place. But mostly it was an outlet for my energy and opinions on politics, books, current events, sports, faith... to share the things I found inspiration, beautiful and ridiculous... and a channel for my journey from girl to woman. 6 years later... I'm no closer to a woman than I am a girl, but I realized I've missed writing. I've missed the ability to comment on the world around me- if not even a soul read my words, to put it down. I released it for whatever good it might do - the good, the bad, the ugly, and the uglier.

 I'm dusting off this blog- the sun is coming out - and I'm sharing this publicly, hoping some of you might even read it and offer your comments. I'm in a new place, having moved from my beloved Midwest back to the area I grew up, Washington, D.C. It hasn't been the smoothest transition, but I'm not one to bemoan my situation for long if it's less than pleasant - I am one to see the glass half-full, suck it up and make the most of it. Afterall, there is so much good around me. I'm immensely blessed, and undeserving. But in all honesty, I'm in a season I don't feel properly dressed for. The wind picks up at the most unexpected moments and I'm without protection from the elements. Exposed. Aware of my loneliness. Joel Osteen had an email last week I found poignant:
"God has set up seasons in our lives. It’s easy to get frustrated when our dreams aren’t coming to pass on our timetable, but every season is not harvest season. There are plowing seasons. There are planting seasons. There are watering seasons. Sure, we would love for every season to be a time of increase left and right, good breaks here and there. But without the other seasons, we wouldn’t be prepared. For example, it’s during the plowing seasons that God brings issues to light that we need to deal with. He’s getting us prepared for promotion.
If you’re not making as much progress as you would like, the key is to not lose any ground. Don’t go backwards. Hold your position. Keep a good attitude and do the right thing even when it’s hard. When you do that, you are passing the test, and God promises that your due season of harvest is coming. Be encouraged because your appointed time of increase, favor and promotion is on its way, and He will fulfill every dream and desire He’s placed within your heart. Remember, harvest is coming!"
So for now, I will do as Joel reminds: Keep a good attitude and do the right thing even when it’s hard.

 I'm asking God to reveal the issues I need to deal with, and the purpose for this season.

And giving Him the dreams of my heart... And in the meantime, offer my little-older/little-wiser commentary on this new season, the terrible drivers in Northern Virginia, and all other things in life.

 Here goes nothin',
Little Miss Sunshine

No comments: