Friday, May 17, 2013

Do you know your love language?

What's a love language, you say? Have you ever wondered how you receive- and give- love?

The 5 Love Languages is a great book that's expanded to a series applicable to just about anything you can think of - work, children, teens, etc. 

Typically, people express and receive love in five ways: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Physical Touch, Acts of Service and Receiving Gifts. I find this utterly fascinating.

I know my top-2: Physical Touch and Quality Time.  I would much prefer a hug and having a meaningful episode of quality time with a friend or family member to a present or an act of service.  (Sometimes this leads to me hugging people I've just met...though there's no reason to be alarmed.)And Lord knows, I do not take compliments well and shy away from words of affirmation. "Awkward Turtle" ensues and I feel quite uncomfortable. 

Oddly enough, I scored a ZERO on Gifts.... this explains why we call my sister the Christmas Elf, and not me. 
 And as many times as I've taken the test, it's the same- by one or two points.

When giving love, not surprisingly, I often struggle to affirm people with words and I have anxiety about gift giving.  Since it's not how I most receive love, it doesn't come as easy to me.  I mean, honestly...why can't everyone just want to snuggle?!

But this brings me to the greater point - improving how I love others, by becoming more aware of their love languages.  If I  know someone is better at gifts, or appreciates words, I will try to love on them that way more often.

I'm going to encourage my family to take the test. Help a girl out! And I'd encourage you to take it too - a great exercise in self-awareness.  Happy Friday.

Hugs,
LMS




No comments: