Saturday, January 19, 2008

Deanna Favre - Don't Bet Against Me!

Many people raced out to get Deanna Favre's book when it came out. Me, I would timidly walk past the bright pink cover with her model-like photo in the bookstore or Shopko - everywhere I was, it was - nothing less to be expected of Green Bay, WI. But I never picked it up.


I didn't think I would buy it. Or read it even. Brett Favre has always been my hero, and having followed his and his family's whole life story (what Cheesehead hasn't?), I didn't think it would be anything new. But receiving it for Christmas might have been a quiet gift from God's angels in my life. I just opened it on Thursday, and finished it yesterday. Little did I ever think I would learn so much in a hundred and some pages- about a woman, a family, a faith that is so powerful, you can not resist being lifted up by this story.

I never thought how much I would connect to this woman- not having cancer, not being married to every woman's dream man (sorry boys), two kids, from Mississippi, you get the picture - I am NOT Deanna Favre in any way, shape, or form. I lack her class, her grace, her inner strength, her humility... But what I see in her, this shy woman who's been thrust into practically every chapter of life- single motherhood at 19, wife of an NFL star and MVPer, best friend and lover of a drug addict, wife of an alcoholic, sister who's survived her younger brother, and mother of two with breast cancer - is a powerful humility and faith that should stand as a lesson for all women.

I would encourage women to read this book, and men. People of faith, you will be humbled with every turn of the page.

Deanna Favre has done what few Evangelical Christians dare to ever do. She has written a book, exposing for all her past, her fears, her triumphs, her lows, and above all lifted God to his role within it all -as master Creator, Caretaker, and Provider. The openness with which she has written about her hope and faith has awed me and I have eaten it all up.

While we all have stories to tell and lessons we've learned -one cannot be humbled by Deanna Favre's perseverance and the wisdom she has gained. We are blessed to have the chance to share in it and learn from it. I will keep this book and handle it often, of that, I am sure.

No comments: