Tuesday, June 26, 2007

High standard for teachers

I could post in response to this article, criticizing the requirement to live in Milwaukee to teach in Milwaukee, but instead, I have a question.

Why is this woman STILL a teacher?
Loretta Ocampo, a teacher for 10 years at Story School, 3815 W. Kilbourn Ave.,
said in an e-mail, "I am not sure how much longer I want to teach in MPS. I keep
teaching what I am supposed to, no longer really having 'fun' with the kids, and
test scores continue to prove us useless. Teachers are bashed in the media, the
community doesn't value our services, and Central Services tells us to do more.
Milwaukee is no safer for these teachers than it is for the kids, dodging bullets on the streets. And as long as the residency requirement is in place, it will be evident that Milwaukee and the teachers union are putting politics -electing their endorsed candidates with the votes of those resident teachers- before MPS students and their needs.

But as a teacher, if it's not fun, you can't make a difference, and you're more worried about media attention than the scores in your classroom, why are you a teacher?

No comments: