Wednesday, August 29, 2007

We're #1, Hey!

This just in:
GENEVA (Aug. 28) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.
If you read this story, you'll get a kick out of the comments. I'm actually quite proud of this statistic. To me, it proves we are a society, in some ways, of personal responsibility. AND, we take our freedoms seriously (See Second Amendment, US Constitution). I recognize that some individuals abuse their freedom and use guns for the wrong purpose. It's those stories that make the news and turn all the gun-control freaks to crying "take them away!"

But if I want a gun, and as a sane individual have no plans to use it except for hunting, shooting as sport, or personal protection where it would lie locked in a safe place away from my children, who is to tell me I can't have one?

Now we just have to convince the legislature here in WI to pass conceal-carry. Who's with me?

Oh, did I mention, girls like 'em big?

2 comments:

Nick said...

The irony of the story of course is that the location in the dateline is Geneva Switzerland, where BY LAW all men who are members of the militia (pretty much everyone over the age of 18) has their military grade rifle in their home, along with 50 rounds of ammunition in case of mobilization.

Anonymous said...

"Now we just have to convince the legislature here in WI to pass conceal-carry. Who's with me? "

I'm with you.

Of course, so is the Wisconsin Constitution, but unfortunately the Wisconsin Supreme Court hasn't seemed to have read it.