Friday, August 3, 2007

Lady gets pissed when Romney doesn't buy pie

Not quite what happened, but this interesting video shows Governor Mitt Romney on the campaign trail, stopping at a diner, making some jokes, and talking about health care.

I have a few qualms- the first being with the woman this report features at the beginning.

The husband's got two jobs and she's got three kids with problems, her youngest son has ADD. (Well, does he really need to be shot up with meds for that? I'll save my posting on unnecessarily medicating children for later.) But don't talk to me about copayments and medicine Rx bills. My job doesn't provide health insurance for me either, lady. I'm 23 years old and getting started. I pay my own premiums and a co-pay everytime I see the doctor. And I pay over $160 for 9 little pills for migraine headaches. Do you think anybody has pity on me? No. And guess what else? I pay that every time I refill. I may not work at a diner for little more than tips, but believe it or not that's actually a considerable chunk of change out of my monthly check.

I like Romney's mood here and how he handles her practically berating him- in fact, I may be slightly impressed. In MA, healthcare he explains-
"They're Private. And we get to choose the policy we like... You get to pay for the policy you want."
He continues and it's almost absorbing - especially his quick-on-his-heels thinking to explain income levels and help people do receive from the government. I appreciate the
"Is it perfect? No. Could it be better?...probably."
He's right to say MA could be a model for others and they'll work to make it better. (I also think he's right to tell her to shut up and let him finish his answer!)

Can you believe they found in Massachusetts that it cost more to hand out healthcare for free? Mitt, you don't say!!

Secondly, I appreciate Romney's quick answer to "Hillary's plan":
"I didn't like her plan, you see it was a government plan."
Thank you, Governor. I don't like her plan either.

The sob story at the end? Incredibly pathetic. "He was in here for what, an hour...that's money off my tables," she whines. I bet she made more that hour- or the hour after I should say- from all the folks that showed up to see Romney and actually stayed for coffee, a slice of pie or a cup of soup.

So in answer to her question to all the candidates, "what are you gonna do for me?" I have a suggestion. Quit crying over what the government isn't giving you and figure out what you can do to help yourself! Your sick kids will thank you in the end.

No comments: