Friday, October 26, 2007

Let them keep it

The NCAA and UND settled today the dispute over the university's nickname, "Fighting Sioux." They have three years to get tribal approval or retire it.

Fighting Sioux, referring to the Indian Tribe, has been a divisve issue at UND.
Critics say it is a racist stereotype, while supporters maintain it is inoffensive and a source of pride.

It was initially chosen (changed from "the Flickertails") to rival NDSU's Bison mascot- something strong, warlike, and bearing. While the tribe itself may prefer Lakota, I see nothing wrong with the Indian mascots at universities today. Shall we attack the Washington Redskins? The Cleveland Indians?

I will admit that I have not heard the actual Indains' position on this matter (my own fault, I concur). But still, I see a bunch of white kids fighting the mascot fight. Can they honestly claim they take offense? Does it help them sleep at night?

If you don't like the mascot, go to school somewhere else. Keep fighting, UND Sioux!

I will now take responses...

4 comments:

flutepilot said...

When living in Maryland, I was honored to be allowed into a sweat lodge ceremony run by a Cherokee Medicine Chief. After the ceremony, he discovered that I was a member of the Washington Redskins Marching Band. He could not stop talking about the team, and he had NO problem with the name.

Anonymous said...

I say let them keep it as well. I know that they were going to build a new arena with the backing of alumni donors, but the donors had said they would pull out if the NCAA forced a name change. Also, here is a little tidbit of information from a hockey news site..

"The state of North Dakota contends that not only did UND have the approval to use the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo from the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe, but also that the appeals process was a "sham." In addition, the state claims that the NCAA applied the policy in a manner that was "arbitrary, capricious and indicative of bad faith" while failing to provide any evidence that UND's nickname and logo "creates or leads to a hostile or abusive championship environment.""

The sham being that Florida State was given the blessing of the Seminoles to use the name, and the NCAA said it was ok. I suppose if hockey is the main sport at a school, that don't count. :)

Anonymous said...

Have the Minnesota Vikings gotten approval from Norway yet?
Who the @$%5 is the NCAA?
Our society allows the squeaky wheel to get greased.
Do people actually name their teams after things they don't like?
Nope, I've never heard of the South Dakota Fighting Trial Lawyers.

lms said...

I second all of these! Thank you for such stimulating conversation!