Sunday, February 10, 2008

Chelsea and Bill, but no Hill?

Obama is coming a-knockin'. The Kohl center will be a-rockin'. I have to say, despite my hatred for the Democratic ticket's "agenda" and the dude who insists upon hanging an "Obama '08" sign in the front window of the house I live in... it's exciting when Presidential candidates visit your state- and the Capitol city if you live in it.

But the Hillary campaign (and yes, isn't it interesting how most pundits refer to the candidates as Obama (last name) and Hillary (first name)?) is sending Bill, and... Chelsea?

Now, I understand children advocating for their parents for political office. I understand the Romney sons out along the campaign trail, wind rustling their perfect hair, sun tanning their golden skin and children's toe-heads, their Orbitz gum teeth sparkling in the sun. I think it's also great when they stand back, as in the case of the Bush twins, who just wanted to be kids and support their dad from afar. Now that she's older, and having been protected well during her awkward, growing-up years in the White House, Chelsea Clinton is an integral part of her mother's campaign. I assume there's a Real World/Survivor type alliance between the two women of the house, but I am a bit surprised she is such a warrior for her mother.

Of all things, I'm not sure she's the surrogate they want a-stumpin'. If you think about Obama, he will rally the children of the corn, I mean, the Wisconsin student body. There is no doubt, it will be as though Wisconsin just upset another Big-10 team in the Kohl center and Halloween on State Street all combined. Hell, Kerry had his largest rally EVER on Capitol Square with Bruce Springstein in '04 - and John Kerry is about as inspiring as Dr. Kevorkian (who I surprisingly think about everytime Kerry speaks . oh sorry). However you want to say it, the liberals will be out wagging their tails in anticipation.

But what's to get excited about with Chelsea? She's single now...but I have a feeling most Fraternity boys would go running in the other direction - they do say women take after their mothers as they age... and well, boys, do you disagree? I have nothing personal against the girl, and I am sorry that her homeliest years were exploited in the media. (Disclaimer: I myself was not the most coordinated or stylish teenager, glasses, braces, the works - so I can say it!!)

Anyway, back on topic. IF I were a Hilary Clinton supporter (pause- shiver at the thought), I would feel a tad gypped. I'm just not sure you want the kid of the candidate before a critical primary. CRITICAL! Yes, the Bush twins stumped for their dad, but they certainly weren't a substitution for the real thing during a critical primary in a targeted state. The daughter, really?

At least Obama is coming himself. And his wife will bring the booty!

No comments: