Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Some inspiration for your ballot-box moment

From a friend:
I feel your pain about the dismal choices we face for our next President. It is especially dispiriting the day after Presidents Day, when we celebrate such great men and leaders as Washington and Lincoln. Like I had said before, it really frustrates me that there is nobody seeking office who stirs any kind of passion in me. But perhaps because of this, I've become more and more reluctant to "play the game" in politics. I still believe that the power to restore the country to greatness lies not in its President, but in its people. Maybe our next President will inadvertently remind us of this. You had mentioned you are in a volunteer group. Next time there is a meeting, take a look around. Those are the true leaders of this country. And I might add, they should be looking at you and thinking the same thing.

I could go on and on about how the problem isn't the policies, but the people who nod in agreement when they are told they are owed something. Where is the sense of pride, hard work, and responsibility that built this nation? What ever happened to "Ask not what your country can do for you.."? And that was a Democrat! It is the feeling of entitlement that is the problem. But I think this stems from the bigger issue of relying on the government to fix everything that's wrong. And that is a trap that I think even people like you and me can fall into. I'm saying this not to be preachy, but to offer some consolation. The next President will not be someone you or I will want in office. But I don't think that will be a failure of this country, not as long as there are still people who represent what is best about what America really is.

As to your vote today, it's not an easy choice when there are no good choices. But I would suggest leaving the "game" part out of the equation. I wouldn't worry about the polls or who would benefit most from what. I would make a list of the people who are seeking office, and choose the one you think is best for the job. If that is McCain or Huckabee, Obama or Clinton, or even Ron Paul, a vote for that person equates to your voice being heard. The only way to silence that, or for your vote not to count, is if you either don't vote or if your vote doesn't reflect your voice at all.
Now that is inspirational.

No comments: