Friday, June 6, 2008

Debate tactics

I do not have a problem with Democrats or liberal thinkers...until they open their mouths and say something dumb.

I will preface this with: I am not the most articulate debater, nor do I think of the best comebacks on the spot. This can be harmful to my position, so I often stay away from debate.

But when I was cornered last night amidst 5 liberal leaning-Obama supporters, they chose instead to take the route of personal attacks on Senator John and Cindy McCain, making fun of his age, her appearance, even his experience as a POW and how he can't raise his arms over his head. That is nothing to joke about.

And then to argue that our President, "Mr. Bush," as they call him, has "run our country into a f***ing debt... blah blah" to me is as far from an intellectual conversation as we can get. I don't talk about Obama or former President Clinton with profane language - simply out of respect.

Finally, to argue that Barack Obama is "walking the walk" based on the fact he told the DNC not to take any more lobbyist money, is simply naieve. I appreciate a guy who "walks his talk," but Obama's talk is simply "Hope and Change." I'll believe it when I see it. Hope and change are a tad hard to measure.
Less than 36 hours after claiming his party's presidential nomination, the Illinois senator said the Democratic National Committee will stop accepting campaign contributions from lobbyists and political action committees, just as Obama's campaign has done.
Yes, so the lobbyists can't write personal checks, but their wives can. Their family members can. It's total B.S. And oh boy, he's really the first person to say that.

If you want to have a debate about the political campaign of 2008, I'm game. But let's leave out the personal attacks and keep it intellectually stimulating.

No comments: