Friday, November 14, 2008

Why I am a Reagan Conservative

Why I am a Reagan Conservative. I'm reading this collection of essays, to remind myself more or less.

So far, each essay author has spoken to me in some way.
Michael Medved: "I embrace conservative ideas because they work. The values emphasized by right-wing thingers and leaders -values of individual responsibility, fair competition, optimism, rewards for hard work, family, fidelity, religious faith, peace through strength and patriotism -maximize any individual's chances of achieving personal success and satisfaction.

On the other hand, the tendencies of contemporary liberalism -whining, politically correct conformity, competitive victimization, dependence on government, sexual and social experimentation, emphasis on group identity over individualism, justification of criminality, militant secularism, and utopian pacifism -increase the likelihood of disaster and despair on both a national and individual basis."
The distinction, at it's most basic level.

No comments: