Thursday, March 27, 2008

Elephants give more than asses... I mean, Democrats

George Will has a wonderful article on Real Clear Politics this morning: Conservatives More Liberal Givers. Some noteworthy comments:
Sixteen months ago, Arthur C. Brooks, a professor at Syracuse University, published "Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism." The surprise is that liberals are markedly less charitable than conservatives.

If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
Whenever I try to give blood, they can never "find" my veins...so I appreciate that my peeps are coming through on that effort in my place. I also love this one:
Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.
I distinctly remember knocking doors in 2004 for President Bush and came upon a decidedly liberal Kerry-loving couple who proceeded to pick a fight with me about how we need to do more to help the homeless and give to others, etc. They wanted us to be taxed more.
TAXED MORE?!

Yes, to give to the poor and help the homeless get off the streets, etc. I suggested they go bring all the bums on State Street over for a nice hot meal, shower, and a slumber party and left to huffs in the background and a slammed door. Their rational seemed a little cuckoo to me!

I'm absolutely sure this family barely donates to charity, they likely just bitch about those societal conservatives who don't express their same sentiments. And yep, Wisconsin was a Kerry state.

He says a lot more, and more eloquently than I, so I'll leave you to read the rest.

No comments: