Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Cruel and unusual punishment

Think Michael Vick will get what he has coming to him? I hope it gets a lot worse.
Federal investigators allege that Vick is a murderer of dogs who weren't willing to fight for his enjoyment. Even worse, his actions appear more sinister than most professional dogfighters...
Honestly, who can do this to an innocent animal?

Owners take young dogs, usually puppies, and put them in an enclosed area and see how they react. They prod the dogs and urge them to get angry. If a dog shows aggression toward another dog, that's a positive. If a dog is timid, it is useless. Some fighters give away puppies that don't show the required "gameness." Other owners don't bother with the trouble of finding them a home and simply kill them....

[Dogs] were killed "by hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

Despicable.
If convicted, Vick and the others -- Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor -- could face up to six years in prison, $350,000 in fines and restitution.
I appreciate innovative punishment- perhaps Vick should be tied up around the collar with metal chains and not fed until he gets angry enough to bite someone. Too cruel? I thought of a lot worse...Oh well.

It's a good day for the dogs.


2 comments:

artquest1 said...

Yeah, I agree that Michael Vick certainly has done little to instill public confidence and respect as a 130 million dollar public figure. The legal aspect is clear, he is innocent until proven guilty, but what is also clear is that he would not be the wealthy man he is today were it not for public good will and admiration for his ability to scramble around and occasionally actually find a receiver down-field. It is the public that brings him fame, and it is the public that is entitled to indict him for shame.
I have another issue where I do not follow you, however. Certainly the fact that a few establishments accept pesos (and certainly continue to accept dollars) is of little consequence.
In Europe it is not uncommon for small businesses (and certainly waiters, doormen, taxi drivers etc) to accept dollars, and, as one of your readers pointed out, almost every establishment within a hundred miles of our Northern Border accepts Canadian without batting an eye. I think it is important to separate your concern over porous borders and unenforced immigration laws, from issues that seem closer to intolerance then they do legal concerns.
Good blog - I'll stop by again. Bob

lms said...

Bob, I like you already. Thanks for your honest, yet not pretentiously stated opinions.

Just to respond,I would certainly not expect anyone in Europe to accept dollars and come prepared with the correct currency should I be travelling through. Or especially if I should choose to live there- I would not expect them to conform to my needs.

I worry we are too complacent, particularly with our neighbors to the south, coming through the 'fence.'