Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's the simple things in life...that require photo IDs

I was asked for my photo ID the other day when making a purchase by credit card. First time in a long time.

I would need a photo ID to buy alcohol or cigarettes, of course to prove my legal age.

A friend was asked for his photo ID while trying to obtain a copy of Wisconsin's Statement of Economic Interest from the Ethics Board in Madison today. This, as we know, is public information available to all who should request it. Interesting.

And yet, I still don't need a photo ID to vote in Wisconsin.

5 comments:

Brandon said...

At my university I needed to show a photo ID to vote in the Student Government elections, and they don't require one to vote in the General election? Ridiculous!

Nick said...

Of course the question is... should you be required to show ID to vote... or should you not have to show ID to do any of those other things instead?

I'm actually very much on the fence about Voter ID.

capper said...

Unless free ID's are provided to every eligible voter for every election, it would be a poll tax, which is unconstitutional. If you do provide the free ID's who will pay the additional taxes to pay for them?

Anonymous said...

I'll be going tomorrow to renew my photo ID, and I wish I had to show it to vote.

lms said...

I am sure that most US Citizens already have a form of photo ID in a passport, driver's license, school ID, etc. I think you'd be surprised at the cost.