Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Has-Been keeps on talking

I'm tired of everyone in this state kissing the ground Tommy Thompson walks on. I'm sorry I missed the grand decade of his governorship, but his attitude now just makes me feel sorry for him. Living on pipe dreams... he's a has-been. If I saw him today, I'd walk right up and tell him to shut his pie hole.
From the latest Wispolitics:
Tommy Thompson, in a new WisPolitics.com interview, says he "found it hard to break through" to President Bush while he was a cabinet secretary at HHS.

Thompson also says history will says that Bush ``missed the opportunity to have a lot more advisers that could have influenced him and he could have done a better job.''

WisPolitics.com: How would you relate with your cabinet secretaries?

Thompson: I would be much more open. I view the president of the United States should not be so insular and have such a cloistered type of administration. I found it hard to break through. The president likes to limit the contacts to him, and that's the way he governed and that's the way he conducted the affairs of state at the federal level. I'm a different type of person. I love to have people come in and see me. I'm very open. I was much more open with the press when I was governor. I met with the press any time they really wanted to. I got a chance to invite a lot of people with diversity, a lot of women, a lot of minorities. I always felt that was a better way of doing things than just limiting the kinds of individuals that will report to you. I think you've got to hear a lot of different variations in order for you to really understand the scope of the problem and make the right decision.
I'm sorry, isn't our President's cabinet and circle of advisors one of the most diverse in history?
I think when the history of the White House under George Bush is written, I think it's going to be that he missed the opportunity to have a lot more advisers that could have influenced him and he could have done a better job. I think that's what history's going to say.
Who cares? History books aren't going to report that Bush could have had a more diverse cabinet of advisors. Do we go back to the 50's and 60's and say Eisenhower or Kennedy should have taken a step forward and put a black man in his inner circle? History may criticize his advisors, and I agree Rove could have gone a while ago, but I believe critics will talk about his steadfastness and resolve. They'll talk about 'scandals' like the AG issue and 'shamnesty', but ultimately about faith-based initiatives, about an agenda of permanent tax cuts, reforming Social Security, fighting global terrorism and commitment to nations under attack from extremists, about renewing the USA PATRIOT Act, cutting the budget deficit in half, promoting education, reform in tort law, and creation of an ownership society. They'll talk about Nancy Pelosi and his lame-duck second term, but that will be outweighed by what they say about the Democrat's lack of progression and accomplishment on their 100-item agenda. Ultimately, history will talk about how much safer America was with George W. Bush in power.
This is the only good part of the story:
Not to say that he didn't do a good job. I think George W. Bush has had a lot more thrown at him than anybody else ever though possible. He's kept us from having any more attacks again.
Now, shut your pie hole.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Who exactly is kissing the ground he walks on? Seriously. Democrats don't like him because... well... he's a Republican. And Republicans in the state don't really like him because... well... he wasn't really much of a Republican.

In fact... I think the only person who kisses the man's feet is Fraley, but that's because it's his job.

Anonymous said...

Great post...couldn't agree more. Other than the W2 program, Tommy didn't do much. He was, however, better than any of the people that ran against him.

lms said...

I'm afraid that even acknowledging he is trying to run for president is enough for me.